Laboratory of Endocrine Pathophysiology
Two are the main topics of our research activity:
1- to study steroids and their receptor in pathophysiological conditions in human and in animal models: we first studied the control of dimorphic brain differentiation during embryogenesis; then, our interests moved to the disruptive effects of some environmental pollutants as polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) and, more recently, bisphenol A (BPA) on brain differentiation and functions.
2- to study the mechanisms by which a human preparation from whole blood, the platelet rich plasma (PRP), and external stimuli as electromagnetic fields (EMF) are involved in the pro-mitotic and pro-migration effects in tissues and cells involved in regenerative/repair processes.
To this purpose, our research activity deals with:
- the evaluation of the BPA effects, mechanism of action and epigenetic effects on organs and tissues involved in the control of reproduction during pregnancy (PRIN 2015 - PI Prof.ssa Ricci, Siena).
- To evaluate the use of platelet gels and electromagnetic fields, alone or in combination, to improve the wound healing process in tissues altered by low gravity conditions as it happens on the ISS - International Space Station (project granted by ASI – SUTURE 2018).
Currently used methods of cellular and molecular biology in the lab:
- Cell cultures, transient transfections, proliferation assays (MTT, cell count), transcriptional activity by luciferase assay, immunofluorescence, migration assays by Boyden Chamber or scratch assay, immunoassays.
- Bacterial transformation and amplification, qualitative RT-PCR, Real time PCR (TaQMan and SyBR Green), fluorescence Western blotting, global DNA methylation analysis by Elisa kit, Methylation specific PCR.
- we also use the following software for primer design (Primer3 o Primer blast), for statistics (SPSS) and for gene sequences analysis (Genomatix).
- Dott.ssa Monica Monici, Scientific Research Manager ASAcampus Joint Laboratory, Dept. of Experimental and Clinical Biomedical Sciences, University of Florence
- Prof.ssa Angela Maria Rizzo, Dept. of Pharmacological and Biomolecular Sciences, University of Milano
- Prof.ssa Luana Ricci Paulesu, Dept. of Life Sciences, University of Siena
- Prof.ssa Simona Bertoli, ICANS – Dept. of Food, Environmental and Nutritional Sciences, University of Milano
- Prof. Maurizio Mandalà, Dept. of Biology, Ecology and Earth Sciences, University of Calabria
- Prof.ssa Valentina Pallottini, Dept. of Science– University of Roma3
- Strollo F, Macchi C, Eberini I, Masini MA, Botta M, Vassilieva G, Nichiporuk I, Monici M, Santucci D, Celotti F, Magni P, Ruscica M. Body composition and metabolic changes during a 520-day mission simulation to Mars. J Endocrinol Invest. 2018 Nov;41(11):1267-1273. doi: 10.1007/s40618-018-0861-9. Epub 2018 Mar 12
- Cialdai F, Vignali L, Morbidelli L, Colciago A, Celotti F, Santi A, Caselli A, Cirri P, Monici M. Modeled Microgravity Affects Fibroblast Functions Related to Wound Healing. Microgravity Science and Technology 2017 Volume: 29 (1-2): 121-132
- Colciago A, Melfi S, Giannotti G, Bonalume V, Ballabio M, Caffino L, Fumagalli F, Magnaghi V. Tumor suppressor Nf2/merlin drives Schwann cell changes following electromagnetic field exposure through Hippo-dependent mechanisms. Cell Death Discov. 2015 Sep 7;1:15021. doi: 10.1038/cddiscovery.2015.21. eCollection 2015
- Casati L, Celotti F, Negri-Cesi P, Sacchi MC, Castano P, Colciago A. Platelet derived growth factor (PDGF) contained in Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) stimulates migration of osteoblasts by reorganizing actin cytoskeleton. Cell Adh Migr. 2014;8(6):595-602. doi: 10.4161/19336918.2014.972785
- Colciago A, Casati L, Mornati O, Vergoni AV, Santagostino A, Celotti F, Negri-Cesi P.: Chronic treatment with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) during pregnancy and lactation in the rat Part 2: Effects on reproductive parameters, on sex behavior, on memory retention and on hypothalamic expression of aromatase and 5alpha-reductases in the offspring. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2009. Aug 15; 239(1):46-54.